Abbotsford was originally just a small farm house with the unappealing nickname of The Muddy Hole. It was purchased in 1811 by Sir Walter Scott, author of some of the most recognised historic novels including Ivanhoe, Rob Roy and The Bride of Lammermoor. If this success was not enough, Scott was also responsible for finding the lost Crown Jewels of Scotland in 1818.
After acquiring the land, which he had visited as a child, Scott set about building and rebuilding his house until it resembled a fairy-tale castle in keeping with his romanticised view of Scotland. In particular, he rescued many fragments of older castles and incorporated them into the fabric of the house. Once the it was finished around 1924 he filled it with his collections of curiosities including ancient furniture and weapons. He also added some very unusual items such as the ‘Torrs Chamfrein’ and the ‘Woodwrae Stone’ which are now housed in the Museum of Scotland.
He was to live at Abbotsford house until his somewhat mysterious death in 1832. In memory of one of Scotland’s favourite sons the house was opened to the public the following year although his descendants continued to live in the mansion until as recently as 2004. Both Scott and his master architect George Bullock are said to occcasionally haunt the house that they both loved – Scot because he never wanted to leave it and Bullock because he died before it was finished.
Camping and Caravanning Club Site
Carfraemill, Oxton, Lauder
Borders, Scotland, TD2 6RA
+44 (0)1578 750 697
- Address: B6360, Abbotsford, Roxburghshire, Scotland, united Kingdom, TD6 9BQ
- GPS: 55.59965278,-2.782127778
- Phone: 0044 (0)1896 752 043
- Part of UK: Scotland
- Sat Nav Postcode: TD6 9BQ
- Entrance Fees: Free entry to gardens & visitor centre
- Disabled Access: Excellent with disabled toilets and wheelchairs available
- Visibility from Road: None