Anglesey Abbey was originally an Augustinian priory built around 1120AD . It was disbanded in 1535 as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Around 1600AD it was converted into a country house and the name changed to Anglesey Abbey. A succession of owners enhanced the gardens and refined the Abbey with the purpose of creating the quintessential English country home. The property was inherited by the National Trust in 1966. Look out for a large and very deep pool that may have once been a coprolite (fossilised dung) quarry. There are also many unusual statues lurking in the gardens which were installed by the 1st Baron Fairhaven.
Camping and Caravanning Club Site
19 Cabbage Moor (Rd), Great Shelford
Cambridgeshire, England, CB22 5NB
+44 (0)1223 841 185
- Address: Quy Road, Lode, Cambridgeshire, England, United Kingdom, CB25 9EJ
- GPS: 52.237281,0.239342
- Phone: 0044 (0)1223 810 080
- Part of UK: England
- Sat Nav Postcode: CB25 9EJ
- Entrance Fees: Yes
- Disabled Access: Very good - Range of mobility support available.
- Visibility from Road: None