Balbirnie Stone Circle dates back to around 2800BC and once had ten stone megaliths but only eight remain today. Originally known as the Druids Circle it had to moved by roughly 125 metres to make way for construction works when the A92 road from Glenrothes to Freuchie was widened. Excavations between 1970 and 1971 revealed a number of artefacts including cremated bones, a flint knife, a beaker and a button made of jet-stone. One of the smaller megaliths in the centre has clearly visible cup marks carved into stone. It was linked to Balfarg Henge, another stone circle, approximately 300 metres north west of Balbirnie’s original site. Both stone circles are now surrounded by residential housing. It was clearly an important burial site for the original inhabitants of the area as some 16 Neolithic cremations have been discovered at the site.
There is a small picnic site next to the stones.
Camping and Caravanning Club Site
Scone Palace Caravan Park, Stormontfield Road, Scone
Tayside, Scotland, PH2 6BB
+44 (0)1738 552 323
- Address: Tofthill (road), Balbirnie, Fife, Scotland, United Kingdom, KY7 6NX
- GPS: 56.21391667,-3.152936111
- Part of UK: Scotland
- Sat Nav Postcode: KY7 6NX
- Entrance Fees: Free Entry
- Disabled Access: Very Good
- Visibility from Road: Excellent