Inspired by ancient Greek temples, Belsay Castle is just less than 90 kilometres south of the Scottish border in the town of Belsay, itself located in central Northumberland. Constructed in the late 14th century, it featured a Pele Tower which would warn the surrounding area of invaders. Three centuries later the castle still belonged to the original owners – the Middleton family, and Thomas Middleton built an extended manor house attached to the tower in 1614. Another century later, the West wing was added, which served as a banquet hall and residence before it was demolished in 1872 by Sir Arthur Middleton during his sweeping renovations of the castle.
The Middleton family abandoned the residence in the early 19th century due to the nearby building of Belsay Hall, into which the family moved. Belsay Castle has since been used as a pre-prepared folly (a building purely existent for decoration) and has hosted numerous parties and entertainments for the aristocracy of the area.
The castle is now under the care of English Heritage, who also tend to its extensive gardens which measure nearly 40 acres. The landscape features Formal Gardens near the mansion itself, where there is a picnic area, the Wild Gardens further out from the house, and perhaps the most remarkable Quarry Gardens in which there are exotic plants, ravines, and gothic ornaments.
Camping and Caravanning Club Site
B6320 (Rd), Bellingham, Hexham
Northumberland, England, NE48 2JY
+44 (0)1434 220 175
- Address: B6309, Belsay, Northumberland, England, United Kingdom, NE20 0DX
- GPS: 55.099831,-1.863211
- Phone: 0044 (0)1661 881 636
- Part of UK: England
- Sat Nav Postcode: NE20 0DX
- Entrance Fees: Yes
- Disabled Access: Reasonable
- Visibility from Road: None
- Image Credits: Header Image: Verity Johnson