Constructed in the late18th-century Castle Coole is a late neo-classical mansion set in a 1,200 acre woodland estate overlooking Lough Coole. It was built between 1789 and 1798 as a summer house for Armar Lowry-Corry, the 1st Earl Belmore. There is evidence of human habitation near the estate dating back to at least the late Iron Age. The ruins of a ‘ráth’ (iron age ring-fort) are located nearby and the remains of a crannog (stilted lake house) were identified at Lough Coole. What makes Castle Cool unusual is that it was designed by two architects who never communicated with each other. The basement and layout was created by Richard Johnston while the actual house and upper floors were designed by the more fashionable James Wyatt. In addition, there is no door at the rear of the house and the driveway only extends to the front portico. This was apparently done deliberately to deter salesmen and tradesmen from making unscheduled visits. Some other interesting features include a roman bath and brewery in the basement. Servants were expected to enter and leave the house via an underground tunnel so as not to disturb the residents or spoil the scenery. The 7th Earl Belmore sold the mansion to the National Trust In 1951.
It is open all year but admission to the house is only possible as part of a guided tour.
Delamont Country Park
Camping and Caravanning Club Site
Downpatrick Road, Killyleagh
Co Down, Northern Ireland, BT30 9TZ
+44 (0)28 448 21833
- Address: Castlcoole Road, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom, BT74 6JY
- GPS: 54.33550556,-7.601177778
- Phone: 0044 (0)28 6632 2690
- Part of UK: Northern Ireland
- Sat Nav Postcode: BT74 6JY
- Entrance Fees: Yes
- Disabled Access: Good
- Visibility from Road: None