Inveraray Castle is actually a magnificent castellated mansion constructed in the style of a French Chateau with elements of both Neo-Gothic and Scottish Baronial architecture. The Estate and castle overlook Loch Fyne – the longest sea loch in Scotland. The original concept for the castle was produced for The 2nd Duke of Argyll by the renowned architect Sir John Vanbrugh. After the death of both men the project was taken over by the 3rd Duke of Argyll who commissioned architect Roger Morris to complete the design. Construction started around 1745 and the castle was finally fit for occupation in 1770.
Over the next century the Campbell fortunes took a turn for the worse and it was only the success and shrewd financial management of the 7th Duke of Argyll that restored the family’s wealth. The castle has suffered from two devastating fires. The first in 1887 damaged a significant part of the mansion. Forced to rebuild, the 8th Duke took the opportunity to increase the height of the main structure and redesign many aspects to be more in keeping with the Scottish Baronial style of architecture. A second fire in 1975 caused considerable damage to the upper floors of the castle and is believed to have destroyed several valuable artworks including an original 1786 Thomas Gainsborough portrait of Sir Fredrick Campbell. For three years the 12th Duke of Argyll and his family lived in the basements while fundraising took place and restorations were completed.
No castle is complete without a resident ghost and in the case of Inveraray the phantom is believed to be a harpist who was hanged at the castle for being a “Peeping Tom’ and spying on the lady of the house. A fair few visitors have claimed to hear the sound of a harp being played but no sign of the harpist. Other visitors claim to have seen the harpist dressed in Campbell tartan in the library. Other spectral appritions have included a lonely woman believed killed by Jacobite soldiers, a mysterious ship on the nearby loch and even a full scale battle between French and Highland forces believed to represent the Battle of Ticonderoga in Canada. An episode of ‘Most Haunted’ was filmed at Inveraray Castle in 2009. (Season 12 – Episode 13)
Special features of the castle include a magnificent Armoury Hall with many fascinating weapons and the famous drawing room with its display of superb French tapestries.
Camping and Caravanning Club Site
A82 (Rd), Luss, Loch Lomond, Alexandria,
Nr Glasgow, Scotland, G83 8NT
+44 (0)1436 860 658
- Address: A83 / Old Military Road, Inveraray, Argyll, Scotland, United Kingdom, PA32 8XE
- GPS: 56.23741667,-5.073411111
- Phone: 0044 (0)1499 302 203
- Part of UK: Scotland
- Sat Nav Postcode: PA32 8XE
- Entrance Fees: Yes
- Disabled Access: Good
- Visibility from Road: A very good view from the coastal road bridge. (A83 / Old Military Rd)