The premier destination for premium listings. Submit Your Listing Now

Bowhill House 0 5 0 0

Bowhill House

Only registered users can save listings to their favorites

The original residence was built three miles west of Selkik by Lord Bowhill in 1708. The house and land was bought by Francis, 2nd Duke of Buccleuch, for his son Lord Charles Scott in 1747. Over the following decades it was expanded until it was finally completed in 1876. By this time it had been transformed into a magnificent mansion surround by beautiful gardens and forests – many of them planted at the request of Henry Scott, the 3rd Duke of Buccleuch, between 1767 and 1812. The house has many wonderful treasures including paintings by Van Dyck, Canaletto and Gainsborough. The list of treasures within Bowhill is exceptional and also includes period French furniture and a magnificent collection of porcelain. There is even the execution shirt of James, 1st Duke of Buccleuch – although some more radical historians have suggested he was never actually executed and later become the notorious ‘Man in the Iron Mask’. Two of the rooms have been furnished to commemorate Sir Walter Scott the famous author and poet who also recovered the crown Jewels of Scotland from their hiding place in Edinburgh Castle. It was Sir Walter Scott who described it as “Sweet Bowhill’ in his poem ‘Lay of the Last Minstrel’. The Scotts are one of the oldest families in Scotland and Bowhill House remains their main place of residence.



Camping and Caravanning Club Site
Elliot Park, (Off Edinburgh Road), Jedburgh
Borders, Scotland, TD8 6EF
+44 (0)1835 863 393

Contact Details

  • Address: Duchess Drive, Bowhill, Selkirkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom, TD7 5ET
  • GPS: 55.54053611,-2.911669444
  • Phone: 0044 (0)1750 22204
  • Part of UK: Scotland
  • Sat Nav Postcode: TD7 5ET
  • Entrance Fees: Yes
  • Disabled Access: Limited access to some areas for wheelchair users
  • Visibility from Road: None

Send To A Friend

Get Directions