Located just off the north west coast of Mainland of Orkney, the Brough of Birsay is a small uninhabited tidal island of approximately 56 acres in size. There is a natural 250 metre causeway linking the island to the mainland which can be crossed on foot at low tide. On the island there are the archaeological remains of both Norse and Pictish settlements as well as the Brough of Birsay Lighthouse built in 1925. A number of unusual Pictish artefacts have been discovered including an engraved slab depicting three figures together with ancient symbols the meaning of which remains a mystery. The island’s steep and rugged cliffs provide important nesting sites for the Fulmar and Guillemot species of sea bird. The original Norse name for the island was “Byrgisey” meaning fort island. The site is in the care of Historic Scotland.
Camping and Caravanning Club Site
Jubilee Park Road, Dingwall
Highlands, Scotland, IV15 9QZ
+44 (0)1349 862 236
- Address: A966 (Just Off), Birsay, Orkney, Scotland, United Kingdom, KW17 2NW
- GPS: 59.13628611,-3.335413889
- Phone: 0044 (0)1856 841 815
- Part of UK: Scotland
- Sat Nav Postcode: KW17 2NW
- Entrance Fees: Yes (Visitor Centre)
- Disabled Access: Very poor as access is via a path across the tidal reach.
- Visibility from Road: Excellent