Bryn Celli Ddu is one of the finest examples of a Neolithic (stone age) ‘passage tomb’ in Wales and can be entered and explored. It is situated on the island of Anglesey, dates back to prehistoric times and the name means ‘the mound in the dark grove.’ The site is unusual because visitors are allowed to enter the mound via a stone passage where as many similar burial sites do not permit access into the chambers.
The mound is a major ‘centrepiece’ of the ‘Neolithic Scheduled Monument’ and in the care of Cadw. This status gives the monument protection under legislation used for legally protecting heritage assets from damage and destruction. It is covered by the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.
The mound is of major historical and archaeological interest and a mystery lies deep within the burial chamber in the form of a pillar. Once thought to be made from stone it is now believed to be the petrified remains of a tree trunk.
The passage is 28 feet in length and in some parts it is unroofed. The site around the monument contains some very rare and beautifully carved free standing stones; kerbstones outline the ditch of an original earlier henge monument.
STONE CIRCLES AND HENGES
The original henge monument would have been built around 3000BC. It would have been defined by an outer circular bank and ditch which set the boundary. Only the ditch remains visible today.
Within the henge, a circle of stones would have formed the focal point for ritual ceremonies and cremated human remains have been found at the foot of some of the stones.
Around a thousand years after the henge was built major changes happened on the site. Some of the stones were deliberately destroyed and a ‘passage grave’ was built. This would have been substantially larger than that on the site which remains today.
The site would have had a retaining wall built around the mound, stretching 85 feet across and the burial chamber would have been completely enclosed within the mound and the back wall would not have been open as it is today.
Following an excavations dig in 1929, some of the structure has been repositioned.
The monument is believed to have great significance to the summer solstice and carbon dating has been able to identify pine charcoal found at the site dates from around 4000BC.
A paranormal investigation team has visited the site and entered the burial chamber and, whilst nothing specific was recorded, members of the team described the atmosphere in the chamber as oppressive.
Camping and Caravanning Club Site
Tyddyn Sianel, Llanystumdwy, Criccieth
Gwynedd, Wales, LL52 0LS
+44 (0)1766 522 855
- Address: Llanddaniel, Anglesey, Wales, United Kingdom, LL61 6EQ
- GPS: 53.20765833,-4.236125
- Phone: 0044 (0)1443 336 000
- Part of UK: Wales
- Sat Nav Postcode: LL61 6EQ
- Entrance Fees: Free Access
- Disabled Access: Limited - unpaved dirt paths
- Visibility from Road: Poor
- Image Credits: Header Image: Chris Pole