Located at the very edge of the original boundary of Croome Park is The Panorama Tower which was built for George Coventry, 6th Earl of Coventry. This domed and circular temple-style folly was designed by James Wyatt in 1801 as an eye-catcher that would enhance the landscape by attracting a person’s gaze. It is located at the top of Knight’s Hill and has been fully restored by the National Trust. It is one of nearly a dozen Follies that were once part of the first landscape designed by Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown. The Panorama Tower was constructed by James Wyatt based on ideas by Robert Adam. The building was not finished until around 1812 – at least three years after the death of the 6th Earl. By the time it was taken over by the National Trust in in 2009 it had experienced considerable deterioration. In 2010 it was extensively restored by the organisation and is now once again an exceptional part of England’s national heritage
It is a circular two level building with a central interior staircase that goes up to a viewing platform under the domed roof. There are exceptional views across Worcestershire to the Malvern Hills. It can be seen from the M5 motorway which separates the folly from the main lands of the estate. It is a Grade I listed building.
During its history, the estate was visited by King George III, Queen Victoria and King George V. It is likely that it was visited by members of the Dutch royal family who stayed at the nearby mansion after escaping from Holland during the NAZI occupation their country during WWII.
Camping and Caravanning Club Site
Blackmore Campsite, No 2 Hanley Swan Lane
Worcestershire, England, WR8 0EE
+44 (0)1684 310 280
- Address: Madge Hill Rd, Severn Stoke, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom, WR8 9DS
- GPS: 52.09866389,-2.199519444
- Part of UK: England
- Sat Nav Postcode: WR8 9DS
- Entrance Fees: Free access to field boundary
- Disabled Access: None
- Visibility from Road: Excellent
- Image Credits: Header Image: Paul Vincent