Also known as “Walls Castle”, Ravenglass Bath House is the remains of an ancient 2nd century Roman bath house in northern England. The 30-metre-long building is located just north of the site of a Roman fort built in the same century, leading to the current theory that the Roman establishment in the area was much more prominent than it was previously considered to have been.
The still-standing remains of the bath house are the main entrance to the building and changing rooms, which features multiple small niches carved into the walls that presumably once housed statuettes or were used as storage for garments. The functions of the other rooms are still unknown, but the house would definitely have featured a “warm room”, “hot bath”, and “cold plunge” that guests would follow a one-way path through. When the ruins were excavated, the remains of a typical Roman heating system (known as a hypocaust) were uncovered, but have since been buried again for preservation.
The nearby Roman fort was dated as being constructed only a short time before the bath house and was originally constructed from timber and earth, but shows signs of later reinforcement with stone walls. The fort is known to have been occupied from about 130 AD for an estimated three centuries, further lending evidence to the theory that the local area had undergone a swift increase in Roman population during the occupation of Britain, hence the building of amenities such as the bath house.
Camping and Caravanning Club Site
Newtown Road, Ravenglass
Cumbria, England, CA18 1SR
+44 (0)1229 717 250
- Address: Walls Drive, Ravenglass, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom, CA18 1SR
- GPS: 54.3479047,-3.404665600000044
- Part of UK: England
- Sat Nav Postcode: CA18 1SR
- Entrance Fees: Free Access
- Disabled Access: Good
- Visibility from Road: Good
- Image Credits: Kevin Eaves