The Sygun Copper Mine is an important reminder of our ancient industrial heritage. Near the centre of the Snowdonia National Park in northern Wales lies the Sygun Copper Mine, a Victorian-era excavation created largely during the Industrial Revolution. Centuries beforehand, Roman workers had dug shallow tunnels into the Snowdonia Mountains in order to get to the rich copper veins running through them. After the Romans left Britain, the tunnels were left relatively untouched for around a millennium before the start of the Industrial Revolution, when the Sygun Copper Mine quickly became a main supplier of minerals in Wales.
By the mid-19th century, cheaper minerals and ores were available abroad and the Sygun mines could not match the demand and prices that had come with the increased use of copper wires due to the fast-growing applications of electricity throughout the country. In 1903, the mine was shut down as its resources had been largely exhausted, making further excavation unprofitable.
REOPENING OF THE MINE
In 1986, the Amies family bought and renovated the mine to be a tourist attraction that would showcase the importance of such industrial practices in British history. They opened audio-visual tours of the mines to the public, and Sygun quickly became a popular place for day-trips, where visitors could learn about the history of the surrounding area and how it contributed to the Industrial Revolution. Sygun also includes an art museum and gallery that hosts one of Britain’s largest privately-owned exhibitions, as well as being home to the Red Dragon Heritage centre which features a Welsh Mythology and History section. The copper mine currently belongs to the noble Ward family, who maintain it as a top-notch attraction.
Camping in the Forest Campsite
A4085 (Road), Beddgelert
Gwynedd, Wales, LL55 4UU
+44 (0)1766 890 288
- Address: A498, Beddgelert, Gwynedd (Caernarfonshire), Wales, UK, LL55 4NE
- GPS: 53.01845237696074,-4.083695411682129
- Phone: 0044 (0)1766 890 595
- Part of UK: Wales
- Sat Nav Postcode: LL55 4NE
- Entrance Fees: Yes
- Disabled Access: Limited / restricted by mine workings
- Visibility from Road: Exterior workings only
- Image Credits: Header Image: Gail Johnson